Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Operation Home Decorating: Living Room

I'm finally happy with the living room.  It has been the cause of a marital chess game.  Did you know I don't like chess?  Correction.  I don't even know how to play chess!  The only before pics I have are from the week we moved in.  Sorry for the clutter.

Before...


After.


You can see we added a leather recliner.  I love that it's not super-sized, yet it's not dwarfed by the sectional.  Hard to tell, but it's a rich chocolate color that compliments the warm tones of the paint and the sofa.  But with all the neutral colors in the room I was looking for a pop of color to add somewhere.

Before...


After. 


The pictures on the wall are photos I've taken.  Well, one of them is.  


I took this photo last year on our trip to the Black Hills in South Dakota (read about it here and here).  This is in Badlands National Park, and I promise you I did not over edit this picture.  There really were no clouds in the sky and it really was vibrant blue.  I loved the contrast between the blue sky and sandy rocks.  So how did I get it on canvas?


There are many art/photography websites that will upload your prints and turn them into a canvas for you.  I used this one.  See the corner?  That's called "gallery wrapped."  What do you think?  Gallery worthy?

It took a while to get to this.  Thus, the marital chess game I was talking about.  After HOURS of scouring the internet and local stores for artwork that was large enough for the wall and had a pop of color (I even considered painting something myself and I've never even taken an art class), I begged Scott to tell me what he wanted.  He was vetoing every suggestion I made, so I threw up my hands and said, "enough".  He was all about cheap.  We (okay, maybe just me) had been spending quite a bit of money on curtains, linens, new furniture, etc.  He was having heart palpitations every time he checked our bank account online.  I assured him the spending would be over before Thanksgiving when our families came, but he wasn't soothed.  I showed him the personal photo canvas option.  He liked the idea of our own photos on display, but he didn't want to spend more money.  He suggested I paint something on my own.  It would be cheaper, yet personal.  Problem was he had more confidence in me than I did.  But I was willing to play along.  Here was my inspiration.


These pillows came with us in the move and I love the bright colors, especially in the very neutral living room.  From this pillow, I came up with this. 


It was just okay.  Looked kind of cartoon-like to me.  But Scott kept going on about how awesome it was.  I was skeptical that his praise had more to do with the cost of the art rather than the quality of it.  I talked myself into hanging it.  I was pretty sure it would grow on me.


After a full week on the wall I still hated it.  I ordered the canvas and prayed it would come in time for Thanksgiving.  Scott was not thrilled, especially since he voted for a different picture to make into a canvas.  Checkmate.  I was sick of this game.  I'm glad I followed my instincts, and thank goodness it arrived before Thanksgiving.

The photo on the other wall is actually four separate photos put together to make a 180 degree view of Dubrovnik, Croatia.  In my last post you saw a painting of Dubrovnik in the guest bedroom.  Thanks to my brother-in-law's handy work, this real life shot brings my memories back to life.  I believe the four originals were taken between my camera, his camera, and my sister-in-law's camera.  A joint masterpiece and a wonderful family trip that was so much fun!


Okay, let's go back to a before shot.


See those small tables by the sofa?  Target special from about eight years ago.  I think they still carry them, but I was tired of them and wanted "real" furniture.  Adult furniture.  And something that didn't look so puny next to the sectional.  We ended up with a set of tables from Ashley Furniture.  A square coffee table and coordinating sofa and end tables.  Check this out.


Scott's first comment was that the table was too big.  I think he was just used to the puny Target stuff.  I love how this fits perfectly in the L of the sectional.  


Each of the four sides looks the same, which makes this the perfect table for entertaining.  See?


No need for coasters when you pull this baby out.  And of course the drawer next to it provides plenty of room for storage.  

Other things I like...


That lamp.  I love the three shelves for displaying keepsakes.  Here's what I've put on them.  


This was THE first photo snapped of us after becoming husband and wife, right after the ceremony.  My brother-in-law was behind us and asked the newlyweds to turn around.  And it's housed in a Tiffany frame I earned for my sales when I worked for Clinique.  I kinda love that the few designer items I have, like this frame,  all come with a story.  Lord knows my husband could care less about designer things, so I've learned to cherish the ones I get.  


These books are priceless to me, no matter how beat up they are.  The top one is the book in which my Grandpa's POW capture story is written, Through The Eye Of The Needle.  The bottom one was given to me by my Grandma.  It's the 1940's edition of The Air Force Wife.  It was hers, and she passed it on to me when I married my Air Force man.  Certainly customs have changed over the years, but flipping through the pages of this book is like stepping back in time.  I love it.

I also love my fireplace mantle.  This is the perfect spot to display my treasures or holiday decorations (please excuse the cartoon decolletage).  


On the right is one of my favorite pictures ever.  It was taken about five years ago at my cousin's wedding reception.  My grandma, me, and my mom.  Three generations of strong women.  Sadly, my Grandma passed away two years ago.  It amazes me that two years later I miss her so much it can still bring me to tears at times.  She was wonderful.

In the middle of the mantle is my North Dakota treasure.  A gift from coworkers, and the lovely photography of a dear friend.  The Farmer's Market, my favorite restaurant, my old house, the school I worked at, and the reason we moved there... the air base.  For a girl who went kicking and screaming to ND, I sure have come out the other side a convert.  I miss my friends and neighbors very much.  So many great times there!


And what would a mantle be without pictures of your kids?  I'm realizing that I don't have a separate picture of my kitty framed.  There are some good ones, so I just have to get it done.  But this picture of Alley was taken just a couple weeks after we got her.  The tips of her ears had just straightened up at this point, though the one on the left took a little longer.  It's like her ears were winking at you!  I loved this look on her.  


I've always known this, but walking you through my decorating decisions solidifies it for me; memories are what make your house a home.  Though we have few memories made in this house, it's still our home because we brought so many memories with us and have displayed them for all to see.  I hope you can say the same for your house.  










No comments:

Post a Comment