Monday, November 9, 2009

The Trip, Part 3

Are you ready for this?  It's sort of a long one.  I had a hard time narrowing it down to all the photos I did include.  They're all so gorgeous, and it's got nothing to do with my beginner photography skills!

After the desolate, yet stunning Badlands we were excited to be in the mountains and forests.  So green, so lush.  We started the day with a bike ride to Spearfish Canyon.  Sadly, I didn't snap any pics of the Canyon.  It's the only regret I have of the trip.  But on the way there we found a breathtaking and panoramic reservoir tucked below the highway.  You come out of the mountains into a clearing and SURPRISE!  There's a ginormous body of water glistening in the sun!



By the way, like my bandana?  It keeps my hair out of my face when riding the motorcycle.  And disguises the helmet hair.  And makes me look like a bad ass biker chic, right?  No?  Fine!

Just before reaching Spearfish Canyon we stopped off on a scenic hiking trail recommended by a friend.  Quick, easy hike leading to this marvelous place...






I think this might be Heaven on Earth!

After Spearfish Canyon we stopped in Deadwood for lunch.  This Old West town was so cute.  Again, no pictures taken from the bike.  Stupid!  But onward we went, to Mt. Rushmore in all its glory...


At first glance I thought...big, but not as big as I expected.  Then we took a walk around the nature trail at the bottom of the mountain.  As I read the various information plaques I learned just how big this sculpture is.  Afterall, Washington's nose is 21 feet long.  That's like 3 or 4 people tall!  Of course, learning how long the sculpture took to create and the methods and tools used to blast and chisel away the rock was pretty awesome too.  The trail ended at the sculptor's studio where we found a bronze statue depicting his original vision...





I never did find any information on why the torsos didn't end up in the mountain.  I wonder if that was deliberate, or if they called it quits for some other reason?  None the less, it's magnificent, and beautiful, and majestic.  Think I fit in with the faces?  

So after Mt. Rushmore we headed off to see the Crazy Horse Memorial.  I'm sure you've all seen pictures, but it's amazing to look at the sculpture being created.  I'm sad that not more of it is finished after so many years.  But the sculptor's vision was to have the monument paid for by the people who enjoy it and want to see it, not by the government.  Honorable, yet frustrating.  I want to see the finished product.  At this rate, it may not happen in my lifetime.  Bittersweet.  Here is a small model in front of the mountain being carved:


The next day we started out for a ride on the Pigtails, a scenic highway known for its corkscrew one-lane bridges and tunnels...which look like the tails of pigs.  Coming out of the tunnels was made even more fun with peek-a-boo views of Mt. Rushmore:



And no, we were not part of the biker gang.  We're rebels, we ride alone!  Right.  Anyway, the Pigtails led us to Custer State Park, a must-see according to all who have been there.  Apparently we'd be able to see buffalo up close, along with other animals.  

Well hey there lil' fella!

Asses, asses everywhere.  And I'm not just talking about the wild donkeys!  Who feeds wild animals blueberry muffins?  These guys...and apparently everyone else who drives along this road.  These donkeys were practically hitching every car that drove by, seemingly annoyed that they'd have to move out of your way if you chose not to feed them.  Obviously not so wild anymore.  And don't worry, the black one did not bite the kid's arm off.  He was just being vocal about not getting the first taste of muffin.

We continued on in hopes of seeing some buffalo.  We saw antelope, deer, more antelope, and birds.  A little disappointed to have missed the buffalo, but the scenery was gorgeous, once again.  Do I sound like a broken record yet?



We continued on out of the state park toward Needles Scenic Highway.  I was guessing it was named for the dense pine trees lining the road.  We rounded a sharp corner and saw something big and dark out of the corner of our eyes.  I thought it was probably more rocks until Scott slammed on the breaks and pulled over.  I looked behind me and ten feet away I saw this:

What a mammoth animal!  He was all alone, and I have no idea how he got there.  Since I'm a bad ass biker chic (no?) I got off the bike an walked a little closer.  I'm a rebel:


I can't tell you how little he cared about me.  He was only concerned about eating.  Stupid?  Yes, considering he's WILD.  But TOTALLY worth it!  Me and Mr. Buffalo, we locked eyes and were one, feeling each other's energy and presence.  No?  BS?  Yeah, maybe.  But a total thrill!

So, onward to Needles Highway.  We climbed up and around mountains, through more forests and rock formations.  Minus the rocks, it reminded me of northern Michigan.  But lo and behold, we learned why it was called Needles Highway:

Sure looks like the eye of a needle, eh?  We took a break at this scenic point to stretch our legs, play on the rocks, and watch non-biking tourist try to fit through the tunnel:




A few more turns down the road we stumbled upon an empty vehicle with Colorado plates.  I wondered where the heck the driver was.  Can't just leave your car on the side of a mountain and come back for it later!  Then, I just happened to look up and see the driver:



Once again, it's like one of those inspirational posters!  Dude scaled the wall in about 25 minutes.  Crazy awesome!  We finished Needles Highway and planned to head back to the hotel an pack up for the drive home.  Fortunately, we came upon this beautiful lake and ate the best burgers we've ever had on the deck of a convenient store/grill.  The perfect way to end the trip...delicious food, delightful scenery!


No comments:

Post a Comment