Thursday, December 9, 2010

Operation Home Decorating: Dining Areas

The last area of the house that required a lot of work was the dining room.  It needed so much work because we've never had a formal dining room before.  We were starting from scratch.


We started with this very empty, very red room.  But the red was more of a dark salmon color that I wasn't so crazy about.  I could already see the nightmare I'd have trying to match curtains or something.  So after much thought, discussion with Scott, shopping, sewing, and wood working we came up with this.



I love how the two-toned gray walls really open up the room and make it feel bigger.  Scott was a little worried that it would be boring, or worse, "goth" because I wanted black furniture to go with it.  I assured him the fabrics I ordered would be bright and cheerful.  I love the mix of coordinating fabrics in this room.  I found them all online at discounted prices.  Because I wanted the fabrics to stand out I decided to go minimal on the walls with simple candelabra.  The best part is that I can change out the candles for different scents and colors depending on the season.  See the curtains up there?  I sewed those.  Yep!  Couldn't find any in stores or online that I was really happy with so I finally learned how to use my sewing machine and made these.  I love them.  It's a black and white floral pattern with a bright green bird thrown in there sporadically for a splash of color.  They have a bit of a retro feel to them that I like.  Very eye catching, I think.

The other fabrics showcase more of the chartreuse green.  It works well with the black furniture and keeps it from getting "goth".  Example:


This large black bar gets a colorful lift with a table runner I made.  And the tassel is sewn INSIDE the runner.  Oh yes I did!  Martha friggin' Stewart if I do say so myself.


But even better than me "rivaling" Martha with my sewing and colorful fabrics is the fact that Scott made this bar/storage unit himself.  He drew up the plans, built it, and painted it in four days.  He amazes me.  We just couldn't find anything we loved in the furniture stores that wasn't gargantuan in size, so he decided to make our furniture instead.  It was cheaper too.  Lord knows he loves a good deal.  He also made the dining room table which includes a removable leaf.  He rocks!


I love that Scott paid attention to details.  He beveled the edge of the table top and even included trim on the table apron.  If you noticed, that checkered trim matched the trim on the bar piece.  Even the legs of all the pieces coordinate.


The chairs were purchased online.  Actually, the table and bar came to life after we bought the chairs.  We liked the legs on the chairs and decided that coordinating with those would be a good way to tie all the pieces together.  The chairs originally came with cream fabric seats.  I recovered them with the chartreuse fabrics I bought and loved the outcome.  Solid green on the ends, alternating patterns at the rest of the table.  See?


And again, I made some simple table runners to break up all the black.  This is probably my favorite room now because so much love and effort went into it by both of us.  Perhaps this furniture will take residence in our children's homes someday.  True heirlooms!

Just off the dining room is the eat-in kitchen.


This space was pretty great to begin with.  But the blank wall on the right got a face lift.  


These vintage ads came from a calendar I used two years ago.  I loved the bright colors and the fact that they all advertised food and beverages.  Perfect for the kitchen, don't you think?  So I cut out the pictures and took them to the Arts and Crafts center on base to have them framed.


These two pictures hang on an opposite wall leading to the dining room.  With all the pops of color I think it coordinates well with some of the serving pieces I have on display.


My mom got me the bowl and platter above on a trip to Arizona.  They're hand-painted with colorful peppers and bottles of hot sauce.  Caliente!

So what do you think of our dining areas?  I was going for bright, cheerful, and personal.  Hopefully you agree.

1 comment: