Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dress Rehearsal

Monday, my first day of class, turned out to be a dress rehearsal.  Why?  Because today we already have a snow day.  And I have only one class on Friday.  And we have next Monday off for MLK Day.  Talk about easing into school.  It all sounds great, right?  Not exactly.

X Factor:

1.  Spring break, which is always over Easter, falls on the last week of April this year.  Finals are the first week of May.  That means all lectures and labs must be completed before Spring Break and all four of my syllabi have no room built in for snow days.  It's stressing me out a little because if we have any more snow days this semester we'll be looking at rushing through materials . . . unless my profs have mercy and start to streamline the information they test us on.  Let's hope that's the case.  Only time will tell.

The good news is the x factors from my last post are unwarranted fears.  I'm not even close to the oldest person in any of my classes, and I'm not the most vocal, the biggest nerd, or the dumbest.  Can I get a amen sista?  What a relief to my resurfaced teenage angst!

Today I can take the extra time off to do any of the following: clean the house, bake some sweets, read ahead for class, get outside and shoot some photos since I joined MCP's Project 52.  Lets talk about Project 52 for a minute.  First, I am a novice photographer.  Two and a half years ago we went on vacation to St. Maarten for our 5th anniversary.  While there, we used our stimulus money to buy me a digital SLR camera (a Canon Rebel xti).  I know, way to stimulate someone else's economy.  Anyway, I have played around for the last two years without much direction or guidance on how to take higher quality photos, but I hope this project will change that.  There is an assignment each week for the whole year.  Not only do I hope to learn how to see or set up better shots, I hope to learn more about Photoshop editing.  I scored the newest version for a big discount on my birthday thanks to my student status!

I'll be sure to share my weekly submissions with you and would love your feedback.  Can't grow without constructive criticism, right?  Until then, I'm off to play in the snow . . . or take photos of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment