Monday, January 10, 2011

1st Day of School

Though I'm no longer an impressionable child who wears pig tails or mall bangs, I do feel the giddiness that little girl felt each year on her first day back to school.


X Factors:

1.  I'll probably be the oldest person in my classes.  What on earth will I have in common with 18-year-olds?

2.  It's been so long since I've taken a math class I may be the dumbest person in there!  The one who asks so many questions you never get out of class early.

3.  I'm having to retake Anatomy and Physiology because my credits wouldn't transfer so I may be the smartest person in there!  The nerd who loves discussion so much that you never get out of class early.  

Sounds like these x factors are all rooted in the fear of not being popular with my classmates.  Why is it that school, at any age, throws you into this social/emotional tailspin where you give yourself and others the once-over in comparison as if this was the biggest competition of your life, but all you really want is for it to turn into a bitchin' party where everybody loves everybody else and we all raise our glass for a social when someone walks in the door because we're happy they came, no matter who they are.  Oh, the teen angst returns!  Fortunately, my wise 30-year-old self usually prevails with, "cut the crap!  You're paying for these classes with your own money now, so get what you can out of 'em, even if you never get out of class early."  Ah-hah!  There's my mother in me.  Practical.

So, giddy and nervous, here I go.  Wish me luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment