Thursday, December 30, 2010

Creature Comforts

Thanks to the Nor'easter we postponed our NYC trip until this weekend.  We'll leave on Saturday, New Year's Day, and return on Sunday evening.  But because Saturday is a holiday we have to drop Alley off at the kennel on Friday morning.  And because the kennel is closed every Sunday, we can't pick her up until Monday morning.  This was the same procedure we went through last weekend with Christmas, only we never left town.  Poor Alley.  She does very well at kennels (as far as we know), but this kennel doesn't offer the creature comforts our old kennel in ND did.  They have spacious, indoor/outdoor kennels, but they don't provide beds like these the way our old kennel did.  


They don't provide play groups either.  S'okay.  She's not the most involved participant in play groups.  She prefers to observe and herd ( I think it's the Blue Heeler instinct).  But as this will be her second long weekend in a row at the kennel I thought she might want a comfy bed for her stay.

We bought Alley a doggy bed years ago when we first got her, but she wanted nothing to do with it.  Why would she when her daddy let her up on the bed and the couch basically from the start?  In hindsight, no regrets about that.  She's the best cuddler!  But maybe she'd like to have a bed at the kennel.  If nothing else it will smell like us and be a comfort to her emotionally, if not physically.

Let me stop here and say that I am completely aware of how this post is sounding.  I know, she's just a dog.  But really, she's our baby!  She is our first.  And who knows if we'll ever have actual kids.  So I'm going to dote on her as much as I please.

Now, prepare to roll your eyes even more.  Not only have we given her a bed for her kennel stays, but I actually made it.  Yeah.  I hear the laughter coming all the way from my ND friends.  But it's because I'm bored.  Because I'm not working and have the time.  Because school hasn't started yet.  Because I have cabin fever and need something to do.  I googled "how to make dog beds" and found this.  And I consulted YouTube for a video tutorial.  So here's what I ended up with.  She's warming up to it.


But as I mentioned earlier,  I'm sure this bed will be for the kennel only.

No comments:

Post a Comment