Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Xpansion

I have been thinking about this post for weeks.  No, I'm not announcing a pregnancy.  But I figured it was time to open up a little more about this.  The tricky part is how.  I do not want this to turn into an infertility blog.  I find many of those sites overwhelming as they chronicle the ups and downs of trying to start a family.  I've been feeling those ups and downs myself for the last 2 and 1/2 years, and reading about similar journeys of others can compound my own feelings immensely, causing me to wallow in self pity.  And the acronyms on those sites . . . WTF? Heh!

Seriously, though, they're so hard to follow sometimes because I'm constantly trying to decode what the person is saying:  TTC, IUI, IVF, ART, RE, etc., etc.  Having said that, I will concede that it's comforting to know others share your struggles, and that can be a benefit of reading infertility blogs.  I guess I just prefer old fashioned discussion when it's possible.  But here I am, writing instead of discussing.  See?  I can make myself crazy when left alone with my thoughts!

So writing this on a public blog is the easiest way to share with the masses without putting this in a Christmas letter.  "We're still not pregnant, but Merry Christmas anyway."  Can you say awkward?

We have been trying to "Xpand" here at Transient Xpress.  This month marks 2 and 1/2 years.  We have tried a lot of boots-knockin', temperature and menstrual cycle charting, diet and vitamin enhancing, "just relaxing", and artificial insemination (clinically called Intrauterine Insemination, or, IUI).  No success.  Turns out, because of both male and female factors, we have less that 20% chance of getting pregnant through artificial insemination (IUI), and even less chance of getting pregnant naturally.  What can I say?  We're a team in every aspect of our marriage.  Heh!  I'll spare you most of the details, but if you or someone you know is interested I'm more than happy to share one-on-one.  Like I said, there's comfort in knowing others struggle too, but not everyone wants the details and I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable here.  I can hear butts shifting in seats already.  Okay, I'll move on.

We started consulting with a fertility clinic here in Dover in November.  I have been so relieved by how personal our care has been.  We are grateful to finally have some answers and a clear course of action.  We have decided, with the help of our doctor, that IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) is our best option for having a baby of our own.  Yes, we desire to try all we can for our own biological child first.  I'm not saying that's right or wrong, it's just how we feel.  If we have no success with IVF, then yes, we would consider other means of becoming parents, including adoption and surrogacy.

Through a battery of base-line testing and blood work I learned that I no longer have immunities to the German Measles and the Chicken Pox.  Though easily corrected, it means having to wait a few more months before starting IVF because the Chicken Pox vaccine is a two-shot series.  I'd like to go on record here and say I got jipped!  I had the Pox as a kid and it ruined my Niagara Falls vacation!  And for what?  Crikey.  And I was vaccinated for the measles too.  My doctor says some people lose immunities over time.  Great.

Anyway, the vaccine process in under way and the next step is for me to have surgery to remove some polyps they found during base-line testing.  A month after the surgery we can try our first (and hopefully only) round of IVF.

I suppose my motivation for writing about this is two-fold; support and education.  As we venture down the road of infertility I have found great comfort and support in talking to other infertile couples and would be happy to offer that to others.  Our stories are all so similar, yet different in the personal details.  I'm learning that fertility issues are a very common thing.  I think people used to be more embarrassed to talk about it than they are now.  But thanks to reality TV shows like this and blogs such as this, issues are being brought to light and a dialogue can begin resulting in education of the masses and empathy for all sides of infertility arguments (Yes, fertility can be a hot topic.  Here's one example argument).

So, if you or someone you know may want to talk/share with me please pass my name along.  I'm totally open to that.  Otherwise, I encourage everyone who is touched by infertility (directly or indirectly) to educate yourself, listen, and be sensitive to others' opinions.  You don't have to "say the right thing", just be there to listen like so many of our friends and family have.  It reminds us how lucky we are, even when things aren't going our way.  Meanwhile, please think of us, say a prayer, or do your fertility dance around the fire in the next few months as we proceed with IVF.  Hopefully Transient Xpress will have a new transient to blog about in the next year or so.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Erin! I'll be praying for IVF#1 to be successful. Thanks for sharing about your experience here. Glad to hear your surgery went well!

    ReplyDelete