Monday, August 16, 2010

Lazy Days of Summer

My lazy days have been these last two weeks.  I seem to have ditched blogging, baking, and volunteering for sunbathing and summer reading.  But I can't sunbathe too long before I'm drenched in sweat due to the steady century temps we've experienced.  A dip in the pool cures the sweat fountain, but before long I'm pruned and tired from treading water.  Nothing like a warm shower and clean clothes to make you feel refreshed after that.  Then I plop down on the couch and read...and read, and read, and read.

It all sounds innocent enough, but I think I've inadvertently caused myself to go a little stir-crazy!  I'm getting sick of this little room we live in.  I like to be outside, but only if I can be near the pool so I'm not constantly sweating in this crazy heat!  And I'm convinced Alley and Frosty are plotting their escape from this room every waking minute.  I used to be able to let Alley out without being on the leash to go to the bathroom.  But now she ignores me and chases squirrels, birds, and jack rabbits.  I used to be able to temp her away from those distractions by asking her if she wanted a treat.  Now she doesn't even look at me when I say that.  She's like a teenager!  Needless to say the leash has made a comeback.

Frosty has always been an indoor cat, but now she waits by the door and races out every time we open it.  She loves to throw herself on the ground and roll around on the warm cement.  She's started marking the brick wall outside our door, as if to remind herself how to get home in case she changes her mind after escaping.


Alas!  There is good fortune on the horizon.  After moving into our ghetto box we ran into a friend from Grand Forks who has moved here to TX for a permanent assignment.  She rented a house off base in a lovely neighborhood with a small lake, lots of trees, and hills.  She even has her own pool!  Last week she asked Scott and I if we'd like to house sit for her and her dog Radar as she's going on a 10 day trip for work.  Let me think......uh, YES PLEASE!  So tomorrow we'll pack up a few bags and the girls and head into town for a little retreat.  We can't wait to spread out!  And swim!

Another bit of good news is that the Humane Society has reopened.  I don't know that I've ever talked about my volunteering on this blog.  Back in July I started volunteering a few times a week at the local Humane Society.  I love animals and love walking the dogs and cuddling the kitties.  It feels good to give them love and attention while they await adoption.  Two weeks ago they temporarily shut down to the public due to an outbreak of the flu.  They opened again this weekend and one of the classes behind Scott's went there to volunteer.  I told them to look for my girl Wilma.  


She's so precious!  Such a cuddle bug.  Imagine my surprise when our friends told me the Humane Society isn't sure what to do with Wilma.  They can't figure out why she hasn't been adopted and apparently she's been there for a while.  If I could adopt her I would, but we're not allowed to have any more pets in our ghetto box.  Besides, we don't have the room.  We also have no room in the cars to drive another dog cross-country when we move to Dover.  I'm sick to my stomach over it because the first dog I fell for the day I started volunteering was put down less than a week later.  Granted, he was sick and in really bad shape.  But Wilma is completely different!  She's healthy, happy, easy going, and a total lover.  I'm not sure what to do to find her a home, but I'm gonna try.  Let me know if you have any ideas.  Cross your fingers and say a prayer for lil' Wilma.  Anyone would be so lucky to have her!

I'm off to volunteer now.  I can't wait to give Wilma a big hug.  I've missed her.  I will keep you posted on her story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment