Monday, July 26, 2010

Ode to Dane

Dana, a truly beautiful name.
But to me she's always been known as "Dane."
A shared birthday party over 20 years ago
Is where our friendship began to grow.
It blossomed with Barbies and Little House on the Prairie
And made it through nails that broke skin when we weren't sharing.
As time moved on, so did we in age
And we raced home from school to watch soaps like GH.
Through high school and boyfriends we worked out some kinks
And laughed 'til we cried at "Pew, I farted.  It stinks!"
We laugh now at a broken Christmas sleigh,
But we were sure it might send us to an early grave.
Spring break in Florida provided us a beautiful tan
And gave new meaning to the American Flag.
Then off "Dane" went to Ferris State
Where soon she would have a very meaningful date.
His name was Shawn and he wooed her well.
A phone call from her told me in love she fell!
A tearful song at a beautiful wedding
Showed me and the guests I was afraid of things changing.
But lucky was I that Shawn loved her so much,
He happily endured phone calls and sleepovers and such!
The loving couple moved back to her hometown
And prepared for an important job she'd have now.
First Ross, the namesake, then Brady the babe,
And all of a sudden I knew a new Dane.
Loving mother and wife to her boys' dad,
She truly is the sister I never always had!
A beautiful woman, so grown up is she.
Just "Dane" is what she'll always be to me!

Happy, happy birthday Dane!  I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment