Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sheppard's X Factor

As my blog tagline states, change involves the unknown, or X factors. Every place we've been has them. In Belleville, IL the X factor was my job. I struggled with bank sales. In Enid, OK the X factor was contaminated water. It felt like we lived in Mexico having to buy drinking water! In Grand Forks, ND it was the frigid winters. I locked myself out of the house in sub zero temperatures. Thank God for good neighbors who have family in the locksmith biz!

At Sheppard Air Force Base in Wichita Falls, TX the X factors are numerous. There's the obvious one with heat and humidity. Average temps this week have been in the mid nineties and the humidity has lingered with the occasional threat of storms. It was so hot yesterday afternoon that sweat soaked through the rear of my shorts after hitting golf balls at the driving range for an hour. Yeah, gross! But it's better than sub zero winters in ND so I won't complain much more.

Another X factor in TX...
http://www.brownreclusespider.org/brown-recluse-spider.htm

The Brown Recluse spider will undoubtedly leave a scar, and in rare cases may cause death. Gotta check your shoes before you put them on. Yikes!

But these X factors pale in comparison to our new digs. We like to call it our cozy ghetto box. Here's the view as you walk in the door.

Yep! Pretty cramped. The plastic bins have been stored in the trailor, but it didn't open the room up any more. See our table on the left? It's pushed against the wall so only three chairs can be used. Jeez! Here's the view standing at the fridge.

It's hard to see because the lighting is so dark (even with the flash and lamps turned on), but the big chair does pull out to a single bed. Make you wanna visit? NOT! And if you stay in the same spot and turn 90 degrees to the right you see the rest of our pad...no joke!

Tiny bathroom straight ahead (and the fan is broken, Lord help us), vanity on the right...

and tiny bedroom on the left...

There is a closet opposite the bed, but you'll have to imagine it because it just took me 20 minutes to download these five pictures with the provided Ethernet. Aye carumba! And yes, that is a full bed, not a queen. Have mercy!

So Scott tells me it's all about attitude. In that case...IT'S GONNA BE A GREAT SUMMER! All kidding aside, I'm getting used to it. It makes for some good story telling and funny memories. I certainly have realized how comfortable my life is so I'm thankful for that. And spending three months here will make me look forward to moving to Dover that much more. Until then, I'm determined to enjoy my time here, and that began yesterday when I met Scott's classmates. They're great people from all over the country, including one exchange student from Bangladesh. Did you know that the US trains military members of many other countries as well as our own? This student has never been to America before, but speaks fluent English. Yesterday he tried hot chocolate, cherries, sushi, and asparagus for the first time and liked them all! I can't wait to experience my own country and customs through his eyes. I'll be sure to fill you in on those experiences too.

Texas, we have arrived. And you'll be begging us to leave once we're through with you! :)


2 comments:

  1. Your "cozy ghetto box" comment made me laugh. My sister lived in ghetto housing at Ft. Leavenworth. The week after they moved out, they tore her building down. :)

    Jennifer Schutt Rakow

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, in typical Erin fashion - you have a great attitude and can laugh about it! Miss you.

    ReplyDelete