Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The City That Never Sleeps

I love New York.  The first time I visited the city was about six years ago.  I love that we now live only three hours away.  Can you say road trip?  Or train ride?  We planned to go Christmas weekend to see a show and catch the city all lit up for the holidays, but the Nor'easter thwarted our plans.  We were able to exchange our show tickets and hotel room for a different weekend, but we had to attend the same show and Promises, Promises was closing January 2nd.  We figured a hotel room would be impossible to get on NYE and the show was off for the holiday, so we settled for New Year's Day.  We drove ourselves rather than taking the train.  What a trip!  Scott now considers himself a New Yorker when it comes to driving in Manhattan.  Baptized by fire.  Actually, I believe he was initiated into the Manhattan Driving Club when a cabby brake-checked him . . . big time!  We still have ND plates on the car so I'm sure he was thinking, "%*$#ing tourist!"  Scott thought it was hilarious.  Meanwhile, my eyes were darting through traffic looking for a cop to see if we'd be fined $350 each time he honked at a pedestrian or a cabby.  Did you know that there are fines for honking in the city?  Signs are posted here, but I'm guessing they're minor suggestions rather than hard fast rules.  I'm just saying.

Anyway, once we settled into our hotel we took to the streets.  We were right in the heart of Times Square.  Stepping out of our hotel you could feel the buzz of energy from thousands of people taking in the sights.  We headed toward Rockefeller Center for some ice skating, stopping occasionally for a touristy shot.

Times Square declaring the New Year

ABC Studios, Times Square

Festive Radio City Music Hall

We reached the giant Christmas tree only to find that the ice skating line was gigantic.  Uh, no thanks. Maybe next year.  There's too much to see and do in NYC to want to stand in line for hours just to ice skate with about 200 people for 30 minutes.  But we did stick around and watch for a while.


It really is a magnificent tree.  I wonder how many strands of lights they use?  We continued on to 5th Avenue to check out the famous holiday window displays.  There were some fabulous ones, but I was more intrigued by the storefronts dripping with lights and decorations.  

Fendi

Who wouldn't want Cartier tied up in a bow?

The other thing I love about New York (or any metropolitan area) is the clash of old and new.  I love gothic church spires framed against the sleek design of a corporate office building.  I wish I could travel back in time to when the church commanded the skyline, find a perch atop the spire, then press fast forward and watch the city grow around it.  I might pause with each passing decade and check out the fashions of the times too.  Afterall, trends are set in the city, right?  


Fifth Avenue led us right to Central Park.  I cannot wait until the summer so I can ride a bike through the park and stop for a picnic or to read a book.  Sounds cheesy, I know, but I don't care.  I love the idea that you can escape the city for a few moments while you're still in the city.  But Central Park at this time of year was fun.  Everyone was laughing as we all slid along the not-yet-shoveled paths in our fashionable shoes with little traction.  There was sledding, ice skating, and horse drawn carriages.  Runners, strollers, and snow ball fights.  And there were snowmen.

Big Snowman

Lil' Snowman 

No ice skating here, but a lovely view.

As we left Central Park we found Broadway and headed back toward the hotel.  We stopped to eat at a cafe across the street from this famous show.


And just down the block was our show.  I love the art deco sign on the Broadway Theater.  So classy.


If the show hadn't closed this past weekend I would tell you to hurry and buy tickets.  It was wonderful!  Sadly, Kristen Chenoweth did not perform at our show.  Her understudy was great, but I can't help feeling like I missed out.  Love her.  Sean Hayes was fantastic.  Molly Shannon was phenominal!  Comic relief at it's best.  We lingered a while in Times Square before calling it a night.  All day as I passed countless street vendors I inhaled the scent of roasted chestnuts or hot dogs and my stomach pleaded for a delectable treat.  I finally gave in around 11:30 pm and shared a fat pretzel with Scott.  

The next morning we found a great little deli around the corner from ABC Studios.  We ordered bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches to go.  Why is it that eating your breakfast sandwich out of tin foil as you walk the streets feels so urban?  I guess it lends itself to the "hustle and bustle" atmosphere.  As if we had so much to do we couldn't even take the time to sit down for breakfast.  Oh well.  I'd rather be outside enjoying the sights than sitting in a hotel restaurant eating a continental breakfast.  Besides, this was the day all the excitement occurred.  Guess who we met?


BARBARA WALTERS!  Okay, fine.  She's a fake.  A phony.  A wax replica.  Pretty good though, huh?  Madame Tussauds was better than I expected.  If you ever have the chance to visit, look for Susan Sarandon and Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne.  Those figures look so real.  I didn't get photos of them because there were so many people next to them.  But here are some of my other favorites.  

The Clintons

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.  He's a giant!

Al Roker and Matt Lauer

We had a fun time "meeting" countless celebrities.  A fun place to see, especially if you're ever in the city on a rainy or sweltering day.  We left the city after lunch and headed back to Dover.  We ran into a bit of traffic in NJ, which reminded me that the train is really worth it!  No need to pay attention.  Just bring a good book and enjoy the ride.  Next time.  Which may be in February.  Yeah.  I think I could handle monthly visits.  Until next time, NYC!




No comments:

Post a Comment