Friday, May 21, 2010

I'm Baaaaaaack!

Wow! What a hiatus. As I mentioned in my last post (forever ago) I had found my limits. Working full time while going back to school allowed me NO free time to enjoy things like blogging, reading, photography, etc.

Alas! That has changed. I'm proud to report that I am DONE with Anatomy and Physiology I and II and I aced them both. I absolutely loved the classes and know that nursing is the right path for me. I'm fascinated by the human body. So complex and efficient!

The last two months have brought news too. The Transient Xpress is on the move!



Dover, Delaware will be our home for the next three years. We move in three weeks, but we're going through TX for a few months for Scott's training in his new line of work. We should arrive in Dover by mid September. CAN'T WAIT! I'm excited to be back in the Eastern time zone. I'm excited to be just a day's drive from family. I'm excited to be just two hours from my brother! I'm excited for seafood, beaches, and TREES! Yes, North Dakota lacks trees. It's the Great Plains, you bech'a!

As many family and friends already know, Scott is no longer flying for the Air Force. If you know me you know that I would just tell you the whole story, right down to the fine details. But my husband is not like me in that respect. So as this is the internet and the whole world can read this (though I doubt I have any followers since my hiatus) I'll give you the short version. Scott has been battling a sensitive stomach since before I met him (12 years ago), and it seems to get worse as he gets older. He tried changing his diet, exercising regularly, sticking to a strict circadian schedule, hypno-therapy, etc. Nothing brought relief. So, over a year ago he began a journey that we knew could ultimately lead to the end of his flying days. He tried several medications and finally found one a few months ago that worked well. We're thankful for that, and thankful that many people were looking out for his best interests. But the Air Force approves very few medications for pilots, and his medication is not one of them. Once the paperwork was filed to take him off of flying status the train left the station for a new destination...Maintenance.

He is now working as a squadron commander in Maintenance. The down side...no flying. The up side...management/leadership, which is what he always imagined he'd do if he got out of the AF. He essentially manages the people that maintain the jets. We're seeing that this side of the AF allows for more leadership opportunities at a "younger" rank. Exciting!

Also exciting news is that Scott was selected for promotion from Captain to Major! I'm not exactly sure why, but when you move beyond Company Grade Officer (Lieutenants and Captains) your promotions no longer take effect immediately. Something about only being allowed to have a certain number of officers and having to wait for some to retire or leave. So, Scott is a Major Select and he'll probably "pin on" in a year. Scott was also selected for a leadership school slot. The good news just keeps rolling in. I'm so proud of him! His hard work and dedication is paying off!

Much more has happened during my hiatus, including two fabulous weddings, but I'll save that for the next post. Now, I'm off to work on preparations for the move and then I'll try to catch the practice rounds for the Air Show here on base. Yeah!

2 comments:

  1. Erin,
    I do follow your blog and I look forward to all your new and exciting stories! I am so proud of all you have accomplished "up Nort" and so happy to have found a friend in you!

    You will go on and make a great nurse and please remember to send me an invite when you get to where that white coat one day!

    Without getting all gushy, I am going to miss you. You can count on that!

    XoXo Jodi Zav

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on A&P.

    Congratulations on Scott's promotion. My sister's husband in a Major in the Army.

    Good luck with the upcoming move!

    Jennifer Schutt Rakow

    ReplyDelete