Thursday, February 24, 2011

Positivity

Today was an important day.  After 11 days of stimulation my eggs were prime for retrieval.  They retrieved 8 eggs this morning.  Besides cashing out on the couch for a few hours, I feel great.  In fact, besides occasional nerves, this process has been quite easy for me . . . so far.

X Factors:
1. Everyone warned me I'd be an emotional roller coaster on this journey.  I've teared up once, when I was telling Scott how proud I am of him.  No sadness, anger, or frustration on a normal level, let alone an amped up level.

2.  I was expecting to look like a drug addict with all of the shots I was giving and the blood draws I was getting.  Besides vein bruising on my arms the last couple of days, all looks good.

3.  I expected Scott to jam the 2 inch needle into my derriere and hit my sciatic nerve when he gave me an injection, but he didn't.  After pricking his own finger (he was a lil' nervous) we switched needles and he did an excellent job.  Hurt less than my tummy shots.

I've been told by a dear friend that I'm a very positive person.  Though flattered by her observation, it took me a while to really accept that because I'm a bit sarcastic.  But I believe her now.  Sarcasm isn't necessarily cynicism, which still allows room for positivity.  I don't know where my positive attitude comes from.  Inherited?  Learned?  Concsiously chosen?  Maybe all of those.  But I know that it's helpful in times like this.

So, I'm cautiously optimistic about our 8 eggs.  Hopefully most of them, if not all, fertilize and begin to grow into embryos.  Our embryo transfer is set up for next week (and they won't transfer more than two, though likely only one), and a few weeks later we'll find out if we're pregnant.  It's all a bit surreal, but exciting too!  Thanks to all who have sent well wishes, thoughts, and prayers.  I think it's helping. :)  We've done all we can and there's some peace in that.  But no doubt the nerves peek through at times.  Thank goodness for wonderful friends and family who support us.  Sending love back to ya! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment