Wednesday, January 19, 2011

An Observation

In the last week and a half I have had four people guess with the utmost certainty that I want to be a pediatric nurse.  And it's not the first time that's been asked of me.  When I began the nursing school journey I had family and friends guessing I'd be drawn to pediatrics.  I've been told I have a pretty positive outlook on things, and I really do like kids, so the assumption wasn't from left field.  But the recent inquiries by complete strangers surprised me.  Two of them were nurses from my recent surgery.  One was a new classmate in biology, and one was my yoga instructor.  What is it about me that seems to scream pediatrics?  Cuz I ain't bitin'!

X Factors:

1.  I do like children.  Their carefree honesty is so refreshing and their inquisitive, usually non-judgemental, minds challenge me to look at things in a different way.  But I like healthy kids.  Sick kids are sad, tired, and scared.  While I don't mind comforting kids, I'm not sure I'd have the patience to reason with their inquisitive minds under those circumstances.  Before you say it, let me assure you that I know I will have to do this with my own kids some day, but I'm thinking it's different when it's your own.  I imagine you're more understanding and patient with your sick child versus someone else's sick child that you don't really know.  I don't know.  Just thinking out loud here.

2.  With every child there is at least one concerned, scared parent.  And rightfully so.  What an awful feeling for a parent to know that they're love and comfort can't help their child.  If they're in the hospital, then presumably there is no amount of cough syrup and cuddling that will make their child's pain go away.  Holy patience, Batman!  Can you imagine trying to reason and explain things to a parent(s) who is under that kind of stress?

Clearly I'm predicting patience to by my problem.  Not unreasonable of me as it was one of my New Year's resolutions.  I know I commonly lack it.  But I'm not closing the door on pediatrics.  I'll take the "wait and see" approach.  If all goes well, I'll be accepted to the nursing program this summer and start my clinical rotations in January of next year.  I'm excited to see what I learn from rotations.  I wonder if I'll surprise myself and fall in love with the areas I'm currently leaning away from.  Only time will tell.  I'm just intrigued by the now common assumption of pediatrics.  Gets me thinking.  Makes me evaluate myself as a person: strengths, weaknesses, characteristics.  Has that ever happened to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment