Friday, October 22, 2010

Home

It's been a while since I've posted because I've been focusing on decorating our house and cataloguing/photographing damaged items from our move, but that's another story.  If you saw the pictures in this post, you know our house was move-in ready.  Yet, no matter how often we move, I always forget how much time the little tasks that make a house a home can take.

To make this house our home I started in the guest bedroom.  Why the guest bedroom when we don't live in it?  Because we're having a boat-load of family here for Thanksgiving and some of them will stay in our house.  We needed furniture for the room, as all we had was a bed.  We sold our cheap Target furniture before we left North Dakota.  A few weekends ago we went to an antique/used furniture store down the road ten minutes.  Scott was very skeptical about buying other people's "junk".  But he soon came around as we browsed beautifully crafted, functional furniture from the early 1900's.  We were awed at the craftsmanship of real (not pressed or veneer) wood furniture and realized the tremendous amount of work that went into these items when power tools didn't exist.  We were further intrigued by art deco furniture of the 50's and 60's, the smooth, curved lines that defied conventional furniture of the time.  All the while I was thinking that these pieces of furniture had taken up residence in a home long ago.  What was their story?  How did they end up in this shop?  How many dinners had been hosted at these tables?  How many kids' rooms had the dressers lived in?  How many times had they been scratched, dented, or painted?  Who restored them to their original beauty?  It was fun, to say the least.  We also played a game called, "Guess How Much."  We were pleasantly surprised when most of the items were cheaper than we expected.

Eventually we got back on track and began to look for a dresser and nightstands for the guest bedroom (and kept an eye out for a dining room table for Thanksgiving, too).  We scored this dresser, which was restored but was in so-so condition.  I knew I wanted to paint it, and Scott didn't mind (though refinished dining tables were another issue).


I found some online tutorials for painting wood furniture.  After sanding off the layers of poly finish I applied several thin coats of primer, then paint, to the dresser and all of it's additional pieces.  It took me the better part of three days.  I was juggling errands in between coats, which may or may not have distracted me. ;)  Anyway, this is the finished product.


I love it!  It feels like your favorite pair of jeans.  Worn, comfortable, cozy.  I even like the imperfections in the wood (which you can't see here) and on the mirror.  Makes it feel like an heirloom.  And did you notice the paint color on the walls?  A lot different than the original blue.  Scott was skeptical of the beige, but he loved the finished product.  Like the dresser, the walls took multiple coats of primer and paint.  My shoulders were sore for the rest of the week.  Worth it though.  You'll see when I'm finished.  Still have to find night stands and a headboard for the bed.

The best find at the antique store was the cedar chest we put in our foyer.  Scott tells me at least twice a week that he loves it.  It may be our favorite furniture item in the house.  Just look at the details.



And who doesn't love the smell of cedar?  It reminds me of heirlooms and family history.  I would bet that the smell of cedar immediately triggers a memory for you too.  Anyway, here is what the foyer looks like now.




I love the three wall hooks.  Pier 1 Imports (my favorite store) for just $7 each.  I love that they look like antique door knobs.


I realize it sounds like I'm going antique crazy, but I assure you I'm not.  You'll see as I finish each room and show you the final product.  I think we mostly have casual living furniture with a sprinkling of antiques for character.  But I'll let you be the judge.  More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment