Friday, July 2, 2010

Weekend plans

This holiday weekend is probably the only extended weekend Scott will have during his training here in TX.  We were excited to take advantage of the four day weekend with a trip to San Antonio.  I've never been, but I hear only great things about it.  Besides the Alamo, they have Sea World, Six Flags, and several local hot spots that were recently featured on Man v. Food where this caught my eye.  Cinnabon?  Fogedaboutit!  These suckers are 3 1/2 lbs!  That's like a week's worth of breakfast!

But our excitement was soon extinguished by the rain bands of Hurricane Alex.  We're feeling the effects up here in Wichita Falls so you can imagine what San Antonio (way south of us) is getting.  They were calling for four inches of rain this weekend.  May not sound like a lot, but for TX that merits a flood warning.  The ground just doesn't absorb water down here.  It can handle the occasional 20 minute downpour (much like FL weather), but the constant rain causes trouble.  Here's a taste of the quick rains we've been getting.  You may need to turn up the volume on this.  I'm new to the whole video thing on my iPhone.


The TX version of the Bellagio fountain show from Vegas right?  All we need is music!  Heh.

Anyhoo, we're not going to San Antonio.  Instead, we're heading up to, "Oooooooooook-lahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains."  Did you ever see that musical?  It's a goodie.  To be exact, we're going to Oklahoma City.  We're staying at the hotel where we got engaged.  Ah, memories.  We'll be going out to dinner, catching a baseball game, and then taking in what should be a great fireworks display, weather permitting.  However, we had front row seats to the fireworks on the Red River last year and it'll be hard to beat that.  I'm hoping to get some good pics, but I need to study up on my camera a bit for the nighttime photography.

What are your 4th of July plans?  Do they include good food?  Fun?  Friends?  Family?  I'm sure many of my ND friends will be going to the lake.  What lake, you ask?  Doesn't matter.  Living on the border of MN allows you access to many of the 10,000 lakes the neighboring state boasts about.  Growing up in Michigan there were two very large, very popular lakes that most people visited.  If you said you were going to the lake you typically specified Higgins or Houghton.  Or if you lived on a lake you'd say, "we live on Lake Whatever."  The lack of specificity from my Nodak friends confused me at first.  But alas, I soon caught on.  It's just what people do there in the summer...go to the lake.

I digress.  So what are your plans?

1 comment:

  1. What else would I be doing? Goin to "the lake"! Hope you have fun in Oklahoma City - keep an eye out for PW!

    ReplyDelete